Tuesday, June 29, 2010

WANTED: Portuguese lessons

Why my father never taught us Portuguese is beyond me. I wish he did. He should have.

Instead, I cannot communicate with our Avo (grandmother), except in some Spanish which doesn't always translate. I know what people are saying only sometimes, but I cannot for the life of me answer back! My brother and I sit there while the rest of the Portagees have a full conversation; we've mastered the art of zoning out from a lifetime of Sunday dinners at Avo's, which is sad.

I am jealous of people who are fluently bilingual. I could be one of those people, but I never got the chance! My mom says that when I was a little girl I would speak Portuguese all the time. My babysitters were my great aunt and uncle, talking to us in Portuguese and singing and dancing. I wish I could remember it all, because it sounds like a fun time.

As a result of my father's failing to teach us his mother tongue, I have tried to learn some Portuguese on my own. In college I found a free software program that taught me some basic words. That was a good start. Last summer I found Portuguese on CD lessons, which was even better!

The problem I have is finding continental Portuguese programs. Even that blasted Rosetta Stone software - which is supposed to be the best way to learn a language - only has Brazilian Portuguese. Damn Brazilian Portuguese.

One day I will find the necessary means to learn the language of my heritage. I am damned determined to do so. My children will learn it as well. It's not fair that my cousins all speak it, understand it, and my brother and I are mostly clueless at every holiday or family function. And it's not like my family moved to the States centuries ago. I'm a first generation Dutra in America! It's wrong that I don't know more about my culture and that I can't speak the language.

Suggestions are welcome on where to find CONTINENTAL PORTUGUESE lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment