Monday, June 14, 2010

Ratt-iversary!

Buffy and Annabel cuddle up in their first days as Dutras

It was a year ago today that I adopted little Buffy and little Annabel. I went to The Tropical Hut to get two rats, not knowing anything other than the rats were cheap there and they had rats available. I knew one would be named Buffy. That was all. I had no idea that I would get two adorable little girls with two distinct personalities.

Buffy: Fate would have it that the little blonde rat waiting in The Tropical Hut was mine. And such an appropriate name, as her namesake is for the other blonde Buffy, who happens to be a vampire slayer. I don't know what Buffy does when I go to bed, but she is quite stubborn, agile, and vey determined when she sets her mind to it. She is also more of an alpha female, playfully pinning Annabel, stealing newspaper, and with a fetish for chewing cords and cardboard. Buffy is my leaper, accomplishing feats pole vaulters would only dream of, and impressing everyone who has ever seen her clear a one foot fence or jump from the couch to the ottoman. She is my adventurat. She definitely has her own agenda.

Annabel: My timid little girl. Saved from being snake food, Annabel has never been quite right, but she has always been very sweet. As a baby she was terrified of loud noises, so I had to be careful not to open mail or put away groceries or do the dishes as noises associated with those activities would send Annabel running for a hiding place of her choosing. In fact, she still does on occasion. She is needy, making sure she is always in eye-sight of me or her ratsitter. Annabel is very stealthy for her size; silent, in apparent possession of an invisible clock, quick and nimble, she has evaded me numerous times and made it to places she is not supposed to be. She is also extremely lazy and would rather sleep during romp time than pal around with Buffy.

My girls have provided me such entertainment throughout the year. Yes, they are not the traditional pet, but they are amazing! We've never had any rats quite like these two girls, so there is always something new and exciting to encounter and learn with them. Granted, they most likely do not know the difference between today and any other day, except that they got a delicious feast for dinner and an extra yogurt drop for the day, but they are very smart and show their appreciation by being excited to see me.

Here's to Buffy and Annabel - may we have at least one more year together! And for your entertainment and mine, a video of Buffy's adventure into the criminal world. Please note the creepy Annabel in the background, a characteristic she has mastered.

No comments:

Post a Comment