Friday, August 6, 2010

World's biggest... strawberry?

I have plans for an epic adventure.

Here is the background on the situation: Back in the 1990s, a John Travolta movie took a fallen angel on a road trip across the country with a bunch of reporters and a beloved pet. Travolta danced and smelled like cookies, Andie McDowell sang about pie, and I think the beloved pet might have died... Well, that movie was "Michael," and if it wasn't already one of the best movies I've ever seen, what makes it even better is the fact that Michael insists they visit the world's largest ball of twine and an collection of other "world's largest" sculptures on their trek across the country. Thus inspired my goal of doing the same (because who wouldn't want to see the world's largest ball of twine?!).

When I went home a couple of weekends ago my mom had this clipping waiting for me with... you'll never believe it... that's right! It was a clipping of "American originals," large sculptures from every state inspired to bring tourism to the farthest reaches of our country. I took this to be a sign that my adventures should begin as soon as possible.


I have decided my tour of these American originals, including the world's largest strawberry, will begin next month at the latest. I have apparently gone more crazy than usual and decided to work seven days a week during the month of August, finding it difficult to plan an adventure to see the world's largest cowboy boots in Seattle amid the shifts I work at the airport and my afternoons spent in the Office of Residence Life. But know that these adventures will begin soon, and they will be epic.

In fact, I believe that there is a percentage of people that are interested in achieving the same goal. When looking for more than just one of the world's largest in each state, I came across this: http://www.worldslargestdoc.com/. Apparently they are making a documentary about the efforts of small towns to attract tourists by building these monuments.

I wonder if there is a book on these landmarks...

No comments:

Post a Comment