Thursday, August 12, 2010

Seven days a week

What was I thinking when I signed up for this? I apparently decided that working seven days a week was going to be no big deal.

Let's just say I'm really looking forward to September...

I work five days at JetBlue and five days at Res Life. Wednesday through Sunday I work at the airport; Monday through Friday I work at Res Life. I don't know if you caught on, but the overlap does not work in my favor. I work at least 10 hours a day three days out of the week, which probably wouldn't be so bad if it was all in one place and also if I wasn't up at 3:20 am.

Saturday and Sunday I get home from JetBlue and just relax. I sit on the couch for a while, with my feet up, taking in some television entertainment. Monday and Tuesday I sleep in and get back the hours of sleep I lose the rest of the week. I show up in the Res Life office a little crazy with all the rest I got the nights before. But those three days in the middle are pure torture.

I keep forgetting what day of the week it is. For the record, today is Thursday. I'm afraid at some point I will forget to show up at one of the two jobs.

I did do this to myself. I picked up Sundays at the airport because we are short staffed and need the help, and I don't mind getting a little extra cash to be honest. I said yes to helping in Res Life because they are my buddies and asked if I'd be willing to help out in August - the busiest month of the year - since there are no student workers and the AHD usually there is busy with training. I guess I didn't realize I was setting myself up for an entire month without a weekend.

For future reference, one cannot fully rest nor maintain one's house or refrigerator when one does not have enough time to do so. Also, one becomes very good at squeezing errands into smaller time frames as a result of one's overindulgence in work.

The perk to working the second job is that the month's worth of work will pay for my car insurance coming up next month, as well as the badly needed work shoes I purchased today for the airport.

Vacations and adventures must be postponed until next month is the only bummer. I could have really used a trip to Hawai'i this month, too. Darn.

No comments:

Post a Comment