Monday, July 5, 2010

Neighborhood fireworks

Ah, the 4th of July. A celebration for all Americans, complete with barbecues, beer, and buddies. Stores from Target to Costco to your local corner mart sell combo packs of legal fireworks, from the classic Sparkler to the ever annoying Piccolo Pete.

However, there are those who would much prefer a grand display of pyrotechnics, those who purchase the illegal fireworks in order to rival a city's official display of patriotism. I believe in Oregon and Washington these people drive out to the Indian Reservations to buy enormous explosions, where federal and state laws do not always apply. And when they come home from their adventure they share the fireworks with their neighbors - how sweet!

Now, it is my belief that every human being has a bit of pyromania in them, but there are some who use their brains when it comes to controlling the use of fire and there are some who do not. Those who do not use their brain are the ones who shoot the massive fireworks into the air from the middle of their street, where houses and trees and dogs have the potential for harm. These people also continue to shoot the fireworks into the air from the middle of their street all the way into the night and early morning. I know this because people in the surrounding neighborhood were doing this last night until at least 1:00 am, giving me a mini heart attack every time the pop from the firework's eruption echoed through the still night.

I believe I documented my concerns about this situation last year, and for the sake of being consistent I will do it again: WTF, people?! First, yes it's the 4th of July, but keep the firework displays to a reasonable hour; not everyone in the neighborhood is still interested in the bright colors and loud noises at midnight or beyond! Second, the reason professionals work in an open area, usually near water, is because pyrotechnics are dangerous and can catch things on fire. Please choose a less densely populated area before you shoot your illegal fireworks into the sky. Third, I love fireworks and think they are beautiful, but sometimes the idiots launching them are so self-involved that I want to storm down the street in my pajamas and slap some sense into them, and I almost did last night.

This was an uneventful 4th of July for me. It was my first day off from eight days in a row at the airport. I was very itchy from the damn bug bites on my legs. The weather was gray and not very summer-like. All in all I rather enjoyed my day indoors until the late night explosions. And because I knew they would go on late into the night I stayed up watching a movie until 12:30 am. I guess I wasn't in a very "4th of July" mood; it didn't feel like the 4th, and I didn't make any plans like I try to do. Perhaps next year I will be more adventurous and fun, and less of a Debbie Downer.

No comments:

Post a Comment