Friday, August 7, 2009

Oh, friends

Last Friday I had a great talk with my friend, Kate, who I haven't seen in a while and needed to hear from. And then I called my friend, Derek, who has been stationed in Idaho with his lovely wife, Holly, for way too long.

I miss the days when all you had to do to see a friend was walk less than 100 yards to their house or dorm room. I find it very hard to catch up with my friends who have moved out of the area. Or friends who are still in the same town but live on the other side. Am I the only one?

Maybe I'm depressed. I don't have a friend here to live with me so I don't get lonely. I have two pet rats, precious but don't contribute much to conversation.

Recently I've been getting urges to go out and do something. What do I do, though? I sit around the house. Everyone already has plans with their roommates, or someone who lives closer to them. Spontaneity does not happen as frequently as it once did. In college, if I wanted to get some cake there was usually at least one of three other housemates who wanted to get cake, too. Or would go for a walk with me.

I am lonely. I admit to it. Totally. I'm lonely for friends. I'm lonely for a significant other. Living on your own totally sucks... and now to find a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment