Friday, July 10, 2009

Job hunting

I think that anyone out there who is currently looking, or has looked, for a job would agree with me: the whole process is ridiculously stressful, exhausting, tedious, overall a horrible experience. Finding and getting the job you want rocks. The process to getting there does not match up on the level of awesomeness.

Update your resume. Look for job postings. Network with people - not just finding your network, but asking them to keep you in mind when they hear about a job that opens up. Pressure from outside elements (parents, mostly) asking if you've found a job yet or how the job hunt is going. Submitting applications. Not hearing anything back from the companies. Submitting more applications. Maybe getting an interview. Tweaking your resume so you look more appealing to the employers. Submitting applications again. It's never-ending! And I keep hearing that I'm doing everything correctly.

Maybe I should be more active in my application process. It gets to a point when I get home from work and the last thing I want to do is apply for jobs. Or I research potential jobs at work when I most definitely should not be doing that. And the stress of not doing everything I possibly can gets to this point where I feel completely apathetic towards the whole process. When I get stressed, whatever it is I'm stressed about gets temporarily pushed out of my mind and I focus on menial tasks. Watching back to back episodes of NCIS, mostly. There is always something else I could be doing.

Won't someone just give me a job? S/he hears that I'm looking to move on into a world of living on my own and commuting and happy hours, and that I'm perfect for this one job available at her/his place of work, and I'm set. I've got a job. Oh how I wish some things in life were just handed to you. Or that the government would have a job waiting for you when you left your current place of employment. That'd be grand.

I guess we know what I'm doing this weekend. Woo-hoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment