Thursday, February 3, 2011

It's back to work I go [observing]

When you don't work for the majority of a month, and the reason for this lack of work is sickness so you weren't having fun while not working, it feels really great to get back to it. And as I've been back for a grand total of two shifts (whoa, Nelly!) it's time for a collection of random observations and notes and bits of information from the airport and more.

The number one flight attendant told me I am what they are looking for in an in-flight Crewmember. That is not the first time I've been told or asked if I was in-flight. Maybe the universe is trying to tell me something.

No matter what, people just don't listen. On average there are about five people who arrive late despite telling people when they check in what gate it is and what time to be there. And we do airport paging. And we page people specifically. And we make loud announcements in the gate area. A word to people flying: the information we tell you at check in should not be ignored. Also, please read signs. And papers we give you.

It's amazing how places and people you know pop up at the most random times. While attending a thank you banquet for PDX airport last night a story was told about people I know. The coordinator of this event was sharing stories and emails from customers to the Port and one of them was from someone I went to college with. How can I be sure, you might ask. Well, I cannot officially confirm it without asking to see the email, but the people and places and things in the story sure make it a likely coincidence. It's a sweet story, too; let me share. A 1LT in the Air Force asked PDX to send a 3' by 2' piece of the airport carpet because his fiancee always feels like she's home when she steps off an airplane and sees it. The two of them were down in San Antonio and she was missing home. Yes, the Port sent a piece of carpet to him. And why I think I know this couple is because on the facebook (a useful tool for seeing the lives of those you don't see every day) a while back there was a picture of her sitting on the little piece of blue-green carpet. I'm pretty sure it was them.

Also, Mike Irwin, TSA security director at PDX and man whose voice you hear over the speaker system in the airport, is apparently a UP alum. I might have done a little dance at the table when his introduction mentioned this with a "Go Pilots" at the end.

Fred Meyer card holders: if you have one you should use it at participating Shell gas stations. Definitely saved 10 cents today on my gas (BONUS!), which reduced the $3.19 price tag to be a little closer to the Arco down the road's price but with better quality gas. I liked hearing my gas was going to be cheaper. Might mean a bit more shopping at Fred Meyer while gas is so expensive.

I appreciate Oregon's efforts to keep people employed by having someone there to pump gas for people. A little inconvenient at times, but overall I don't mind it and it gives people a job. Maybe more states should do it.

Pets really do have such personalities, don't they? I was driving home from the Bluff and saw this dog playing with his leash, wrapping his foot in the leash to pretend he had an injured foot, trying to pull the lead from his owner's hand so he could go have fun. He was a funny guy (or girl); I bet that pup is a handful at home. Annabel and Buffy have funny little personalities. I wonder if pets - animals in general - think the same of us. I wonder if they think we're crazy. Maybe I'm crazy for thinking all this out loud.

I don't know who to cheer for at the Super Bowl, so I'm going to cheer for whoever wins. Misty liked this idea, too. I think she will be taking my idea and running with it.

Congestion sucks. Ears popping to relieve the congestion is the most amazing thing in the world!

I wonder if the will be airing the Royal Wedding that's coming up in April on American network channels. How does that work when they are ahead of us by eight hours?

It annoys me when I have all but one piece of the puzzle to complete my taxes. I would really like my money back from the government but because I don't have that last stinkin' piece I can't. Stupid stocks.

I think I'm going to have to concede and get a fancier phone. I love my phone and I hoped it would last forever because it's perfect for me. I think the technological age we are in is going to force me away from using my phone. Darn.

A lot of people I know are getting married this year. I'm pretty sure I didn't get the memo.

I need to work more on traveling to see the world's biggest stuff. My "Look what I found!" blog has been inactive way too long. I can visit places, but I need to make sure I have a rat sitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment